ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – A family’s garage caught fire early Monday morning, however, because of their quick thinking and emergency plan, it saved them and their home.
The fire chief with the Huntertown Fire Department told Fort Wayne’s NBC News that his crew responded to a house fire located in the 1700 block of Kruse Lane Monday after 6 a.m.. They said parts of the garage caught fire. Fire officials said the family safely go outside, and their crew saved two guinea pigs that were inside the garage.
Fort Wayne’s NBC News talked with the fire chief about the incident. He said the family’s quick actions and emergency plan prevented the fire from spreading, and causing more damage to the house. He said if the family did not act quickly, the outcome could have been much different.
“If she (the mother) would have left that door (garage door) open, that fire could have gone through the kitchen, down into the living room, and out the front door before fire crews ever got there,” said Robert Boren, the fire chief of the Huntertown Fire Department.
Fort Wayne’s NBC News talked with the family to learn more about their emergency plan.
Frank Strzelecki, the father of the family, said it’s because of his daughter, Anna, that the family was aware about the fire.
Anna told Fort Wayne’s NBC News that she heard a strange noise from the garage. Rather than ignoring it, she told her parents immediately. Frank said that’s when he…